2013年10月25日金曜日

Culture and rituals of eating

This video introduce us a few rituals about foods.
For example, there are different rules using implements in Europe. In Germany, Poland and Central and Eastern Europe, people never cut their potatoes with  knives. They use only forks.
 And there are another rules about numbers. For example, In Christian countries,thirteen is unlucky number because it replicates the last supper. And then, in Japan and China, four is bad number because the pronunciation of  four is "shi"―which means death. So people don't like that number.
By the way, this video also tells us that eating food together make solidarity and alliances. Before I watched this video, I have never thought  so. BUT now I really think so.
I think that the eating foods together cements our relationship more tight!




This is the URL of the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyVPfFKp7SI

2 件のコメント:

  1. It was the first time for me I knew why European people think thirteen is not good number until I entered this university and learned Christianity. At first, I was surprised there is not Building NO.13 in this school. When I asked my friend who is a Christian the reason of it, she taught me that. As you said, every country has every rules, so we should understand it, or we can be embarrassed when we go there.

    返信削除
  2. Feasts are held in many cultures to celebrate marriage, which is seen as an alliance between two families. Also, when heads of State meet for important functions, the banquet is the occasion where protocol is especially important since it also has an alliance-building function.

    I didn't know the rule about not cutting potatoes with knives. I wonder what the origin of that is. Potatoes only came to Europe in the 16th century--from South America--so it isn't such an ancient custom. Could they have picked up the custom from South Americans?

    返信削除